Friday, August 06, 2004

Preparing IIS 5.0 for .NET

For some reason, the first time I installed .NET 1.x on an IIS 5 server, it just worked. I don't know if this was because I had done the install via Windows Update, or if the likes of a phenomenon occurred. .NET applications ran fine.

This time around, I installed IIS and downloaded and installed the framework manually. ASP.NET applications failed to work at first go.

After tooling through the IIS configuration, I noticed that none of the .NET extensions were registered in the mapping subsystem of IIS (e.g. extensions such as .aspx, .asmx).

Apparently, to fix this problem, one must change to the .NET framework root directory and run aspnet_iisreg.exe -i, which installs the extensions, mappings, and whatever else IIS needs to run ASP.NET applications.

I haven't had a chance to use IIS 6.0 yet.

No comments: